Thanks again to AngelsDefendUs, who has posted on Joel Davidson’s firing here and here. You can read the details–hazy as they are–over there. I would like to highlight the chronology of events as seen via the article that got Joel fired.
1. November 2010: Joel Davidson pens an article about Planned Parenthood’s participation at the Mitzvah Mall [NB: Mitzvah = “good deed”], a popular holiday bazaar run by Congregation Beth Shalom, Anchorage’s Reform Jewish Community. In that article, Joel erroneously reports that Planned Parenthood will be accepting donations for abortions, as they have done elsewhere as part of their “Choice on Earth” campaign. [NB: this article was subsequently pulled from the Anchor website.]
2. November 28, 2010: Catholic News Agency (CNA) features Joel’s article on its website.
3. December 1, 2010: Joel corrects the error, and reports that Planned Parenthood will accept donations at the Mitzvah Mall to pay for “birth control, educational opportunities, and other services,” but not abortion. Both CNA and Joel immediately run corrected versions of the article, entitled in the Anchor “CORRECTION: Planned Parenthood to participate in Alaska holiday bazaar, but gifts can’t pay for abortions.” Other than the headline and the relevant text, the article is substantially the same as the one that ran in the Anchor in November, and includes a link to the Mitzvah Mall’s website.
4. December 3, 2010: The Anchor runs a headline entitled “Catholics, Jews, and Evangelicals Join Forces to Provide Meals for the Needy.” There is no article, but a color picture appears with a caption crediting Congregation Beth Shalom as helping St. Patrick’s and Catholic Socal Services to assemble 1,000+ meals for the Thanksgiving holiday.
5. December 15, 2010: Joel Davidson is fired.
More to come.